Click image to enlarge
Coffin Rock, Oregon, as seen from the Kalama shore, Washington.
View from the Kalama Sportsman's Club.
Image taken April 14, 2013.
Coffin Rock ...
Coffin Rock is on the Oregon side of the Columbia River at River Mile (RM) 73, approximately one mile downstream of Goble and upstream of the Trojan Nuclear Facility.
On the Washington side of the Columbia River downstream lies Mount Coffin, often confused with Coffin Rock. Lewis and Clark make no mention of Coffin Rock.
Early Coffin Rock ...
In 1792 Lieutenant Broughton of the Captain George Vancouver Expedition, mentions Coffin Rock, calling it a "small rocky islet".
"... About six o'clock on Sunday morning, (October 28) Mr. Broughton continued to proceed against the
stream, and soon passed a small rocky islet, about twenty feet above the surface of the water. Several canoes covered the top of this islet, in which dead bodies were deposited ..."
[Broughton/Vancouver, October 28, 1792]
In 1805 and 1806 Lewis and Clark pass the area of Coffin Rock but make no mention of it.
According to "Oregon Geographic Names" (2003, McArthur and McArthur, Oregon Historical Society) the first use of the name "Coffin Rock" was January 11, 1814, by Elliot Coues in the Henry-Thompson Journals.
The 1825 map of the Hudson's Bay Company called "Columbia River, Surveyed 1825" (printed 1826), called the rock "Corpse Rock".
In 1841 Charles Wilkes of the U.S. Exploring Expedition uses the "Coffin Rock" name.
"... On the 20th, we anchored again off Coffin Rock, near which we found a
depth of twenty-five rathoms, which is the deepest water within the capes.
This place is sixty miles from the mouth of the river, and eight miles
above the confluence of the Cowlitz. The shores here are composed of trap
and a conglomerate, the last of which is the same rock as that which
occurs below, and has already been spoken of. The Coffin Rock, which is
not more than sixty feet in diameter, and twelve feet above the water,
appears to have been excluseively reserved for the burial of chiefs.
[Wilkes, September 20, 1841]
Alexander Ross in 1849 writes about Mount Coffin and Coffin Rock from a journey in 1811. While he calls Mount Coffin both Mount Coffin and Coffin Rock, he leaves todays Coffin Rock unnamed.
"... [July 23, 1811] ...
On the 23rd, after a restlss night, we started, stemming a strong and
almost irresistible current by daylight. Crossing to the north side, not
far from our encampment, we passed a small rocky height, called Coffin
Rock, or Mount Coffin, a receptacle for the dead: all over this rock ---
top, sides, and bottom --- were placed canoes of all sorts and sizes,
containing relics of the dead, the congregated dust of many ages.
Not far from Mount Coffin, on the same side, was the mouth of a small
river, called by the natives Cowlitz, near which was an isolated rock,
covered also with canoes and dead bodies. This sepulchral rock has a
ghastly appearance, in the middle of the stream, and we rowed by it in
silence; then passing Deer's Island, we encamped at the mouth of the
The 1856 cadastral survey (tax survey) for T6N R2W shows "Coffin Rock" in Section 2, the "Gobal" homestead in Section 12, and "Sandy Isd." upstream of Goble in the middle of the Columbia River.
Coffin Rock in 1941 ...
From "The New Washington: A Guide to the Evergreen State" (1941, Writers' Program, Work Projects Administration):
"COFFIN ROCK (L), 63.6 m., is a small promontory crowned with cedar and coniferous trees projecting into the river; here the Indians buried their dead in canoes. The canoes were placed high in the cottonwood trees, their sharp prows pointed to the west with every paddle in place. The deceased were wrapped in their robes and furs and their wealth in beads and trinkets was placed at their feet. They lay in the war canoes awaiting the flood of life which prophecy said would come in some day with the tide. The last of the canoes was seen about 1850."
Coffin Rock Light ...
On December 27, 1889, a collision between the British ship Clan Mackenzie and the steamer Oregon occurred near "Coffin Rock Light", when the steamer mistook the light from the Clan Mackenzie to be the Coffin Rock Light. The collision occured a mile upstream of the Coffin Rock Light and resulted in the sinking of the Clan Mackenzie and the loss of two of her crew. A suit was filed against the Oregon on December 31, 1889. Then, on April 5, 1890, the Oregon Short Line & Utah Northern Railway Company, charterer of the Oregon, filed a cross-suit against the Clan Mackenzie, charging that the collision was the fault of the British ship for "failing to display a proper anchor light, to keep a proper anchor watch, or to call the steamer's attention by shouting, ringing the ship's bell, or showing a lantern or torch, as required by Rev. St. 4234". The case went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The lawsuit's description of Coffin Rock Light:
"... immediately below said Coffin Rock, and a short distance inside of it, on the face of a wooded promontory, and at a height of about thirty feet from the water, there is and was at said time maintained a government light, described as a tubular-lens lantern of a one hundred candle power, with a radiating power of four miles, and easily visible on a dark, clear night from three to four miles. ..."
From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...
Clark, March 27, 1806 ...