Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Birds etc.
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Warrendale, Oregon"
Includes ... Warrendale ... Frank Warren ... Warren Cannery ... Warren Fishwheel ... Warren Portage Tramway ...
Image, 2004, Pierce Island and Woodward Creek, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Pierce Island and Woodard Creek (Woodward Creek), Washington, with Warrendale, Oregon. Pierce Island (left), Woodard Creek (running through lower middle ground), the Columbia River (left to center) with Warrendale, Oregon, in the background. View from boat launch at Beacon Rock State Park, Washington, off of Washington State Highway 14. Image taken October 27, 2004.


Warrendale ...
Warrendale, Oregon, is located on the south side of the Columbia River at River Mile (RM) 141.5. The neighbor town of Dodson is just downstream. Upstream is the mouth of McCord Creek and the John B. Yeon State Park. Across from Warrendale is Beacon Rock and Pierce Island.

Early Warrendale ...
Warrendale was named after Frank M. Warren, Sr., a major figure in the Columbia River salmon industry. At one time Warren's fishwheels dotted the Columbia River. Warrendale was home to a cannery. Frank Warren died in the sinking of the Titanic in April 1912. His wife survived.

The Warrendale Post Office served the area west of the Bonneville Dam between September 1894 and June 1942.

A railroad station was established in 1916.

Today the community is private homes. Great views of Beacon Rock can be seen from roadsides in the area, as well as views of Pierce and Ives Islands.


Warrendale in 1939 ...
From "Federal Writers' Project, 1939, "Oregon Trail: The Missouri River to the Pacific Ocean"; ":

"... At the village of WARRENDALE, (14 pop.) are the North American Fox Farms. When litters exceed the average of from three to five, the little foxes here are frequently nursed by house cats. ..."



Warrendale, etc.

  • Beacon Rock from Warrendale ...
  • Fox Farm ...
  • Warren Cannery ...
  • Warren No.3 Fishwheel ...
  • Warren Portage Tramway ...


Beacon Rock from Warrendale ...

Image, 2005, Beacon Rock, Washington, from Warrendale, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Beacon Rock, Washington, as seen from Warrendale, Oregon. Image taken October 22, 2005.
Image, 2005, Beacon Rock, Washington, from Warrendale, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Beacon Rock, Washington, as seen from Warrendale, Oregon. Image taken October 22, 2005.
Image, 2005, Beacon Rock, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Beacon Rock basalts as seen from Warrendale, Oregon. Note climber in red !!!!!!!!! Image taken October 22, 2005.


Fox Farm ...
From "Sunset Magazine", 1936:

"... The battlemented towers of basaltic rock that rise 2,000 feet above the river are the towers of St. Peter's Dome and Cathedral Point. Below them and on the highway is Warrendale where you can visit a fox farm . ..."


Warren Cannery ...
By 1881, thirty-five salmon canneries had been established on the Columbia River. Two were in the Dodson and Warrendale area of the Columbia River. The Dodson cannery was built by Patrick J. McGowen and the Warrendale cannery was built by Frank Warren, owner of a major cannery located in Cathlamet, Washington. .

From the 1916 report "Pacific Salmon Fisheries" by John N. Cobb (U.S. Bureau of Fisheries Document No.839):

"... One of the pioneer canners on the river was the late F.M. Warren, operating as the Warren Packing Co., who established a cannery at Cathlamet, Wash., in 1869. The same company is still operating the plant. Later another cannery was established at Warrendale, Oreg., and both are still being operated by this company. ..." [Cobb, 1916]

An early photograph of the Warren Cannery with two steamships docking at the cannery docks (the "Dalles City" and the "Tahoma") can be seen at the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center museum in Stevenson, Washington.


Image, 2011, Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Exhibit, Warren Salmon Cannery, Warrendale, Oregon, Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center, Stevenson, Washington. Image shows two steamships, the "Dalles City" and the "Tahoma" docking at the Warren Cannery docks. Image taken July 15, 2011.


Warren No.3 Fishwheel ...
From the 1880s to the 1930s, fishwheels were used along the Columbia River to harvest salmon as they migrated upstream. In 1894 Frank Warren constructed Fishwheel No.3 at this spot upstream from Fort Cascades. The line of rocks served to lead the salmon into log cribs from which the wheel scooped the fish. The salmon were then shipped several miles downstream to be processed at a cannery in Warrendale. Fishwheels were outlawed in 1934 in the state of Washington. The Warren Fishwheel No.3 was located along the shore of Hamilton Island, upstream of Fort Cascades.

Image, 2014, Fort Cascades Fishwheel, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Detail, information sign, Warren Fishwheel No.3, Fort Cascades Historic Site, Hamilton Island, Washington. Image taken April 7, 2014.
Image, 2014, Fort Cascades Fishwheel, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Location of the Warren Fishwheel No.3, Fort Cascades Historic Site, Hamilton Island, Washington. The line of rocks served to lead the fish into the log cribs from which the wheel, which was located to the left, scooped the fish. Bradford Island is in the background. Image taken April 7, 2014.
Image, 2004, Fort Cascades Fishwheel, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
At low water, location of Warren Fishwheel No.3, 1894, Hamilton Island, Washington. The line of rocks served to lead the fish into the log cribs from which the wheel, which was located to the left, scooped the fish. Bradford Island is in the background. Image taken October 27, 2004.


Warren Portage Tramway ...
The "Warren Portage Tramway" was located on Hamilton Island. This tramway was used by the Warren Packing Company to transport fish caught in Frank Warren's fishwheel on Hamilton Island, down to the Lower Landing of the town of Cascades, and from there transported across the Columbia to the cannery at Warrendale. The tramway was built in the 1890s and operated until 1930. Remnants of the tramway path are now located within the Fort Cascades Historic Site.

Image, 2014, Fort Cascades Fishwheel, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Sign, Warren Portage Tramway, Fort Cascades Historic Site, Hamilton Island, Washington. Image taken April 7, 2014.
Image, 2014, Fort Cascades Fishwheel, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Warren Portage Tramway, Fort Cascades Historic Site, Hamilton Island, Washington. Image taken April 7, 2014.
Image, 2005, Fort Cascades, Warren Portage Tramway, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Warren Portage Tramway, Fort Cascades Historic Site. Image taken April 2, 2005.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, November 2, 1805 ...
Examined the rapid below us [from their camp at Fort Rains, looking at the Cascade Rapids] more pertcelarly the danger appearing too great to Hazzard our Canoes loaded, dispatched all the men who could not Swim with loads to the end of the portage below, I also walked to the end of the portage with the carriers where I delayed untill everry articles was brought over and canoes arrived Safe. here we brackfast and took a Meridn. altitude 59 45' 45" about the time we were Setting out 7 Squars came over loaded with Dried fish, and bear grass neetly bundled up, Soon after 4 Indian men came down over the rapid in a large canoe.     passed a rapid at 2 miles & 1 at 4 miles opposite the lower point of a high Island on the Lard Side [Bradford Island], and a little below 4 Houses on the Stard. Bank, a Small Creek on the Lard Side [Tanner Creek] opposit Straw berry Island [Hamilton Island], which heads below the last rapid, opposit the lower point of this Island [Hamilton Island] passed three Islands covered with tall timber [today there are two, Ives and Pierce] opposit the Beatin rock [Beacon Rock]    Those Islands are nearest the Starboard Side, imediately below on the Stard. Side passed a village of nine houses [indentified on Atlas map#79 as the "Wah-clallah Tribe of Shahala Nation", location near today's Skamania and Skamania Landing], which is Situated between 2 Small Creeks [Woodard Creek and Duncan Creek], and are of the Same construction of those above; here the river widens to near a mile, and the bottoms are more extensive and thickly timbered, as also the high mountains on each Side, with Pine, Spruce pine, Cotton wood, a Species of ash, and alder.     at 17 miles passed a rock near the middle of the river [Phoca Rock], about 100 feet high and 80 feet Diamuter,     proceed on down a Smoth gentle Stream of about 2 miles wide, in which the tide has its effect as high as the Beaten rock [Beacon Rock] or the Last rapids at Strawberry Island [Hamilton Island],- Saw great numbers of waterfowl of Different kinds, Such as Swan, Geese, white & grey brants, ducks of various kinds, Guls, & Pleaver [today just below Beacon Rock is Franz National Wildlife Refuge]. ...     we encamped under a high projecting rock on the Lard. Side [Rooster Rock, with Crown Point rising above it],     here the mountains leave the river on each Side [leaving the Columbia River Gorge, Steigerwald Land NWR is on the north and the Sandy River delta is on the south], which from the great Shute to this place is high and rugid [Columbia River Gorge]; thickly Covered with timber principalley of the Pine Species. The bottoms below appear extensive and thickly Covered with wood.     river here about 2 miles wide.     Seven Indians in a Canoe on their way down to trade with the nativs below, encamp with us, those we left at the portage passed us this evening and proceeded on down The ebb tide rose here about 9 Inches, the flood tide must rise here much higher- we made 29 miles to day from the Great Shute [Cascade Locks]-





Columbia River GorgeReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CASCADE RANGE VOLCANOES | CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:    Cobb, J.N., 1916, "Pacific Salmon Fisheries", U.S. Bureau of Fisheries Document No.839; Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center, 2011, Warren Cannery exhibit' Columbia Gorge Discovery Center website, 2005, "Photo Archives"; Federal Writers' Project, 1939, "Oregon Trail: The Missouri River to the Pacific Ocean"; McArthur, L.A., and McArthur, L.L., 2003, Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press, Portland; "Sunset Magazine", 1936;

All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
ColumbiaRiverImages.com/Regions/Places/warrendale.html
© 2014, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
February 2013