Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Birds etc.
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Sandy, Oregon"
Includes ... Sandy, Oregon ... Sandy River ... Barlow Road ... Murals ... Jonsrud Viewpoint ...
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mural, City Hall, Sandy, Oregon. Mural depicts early logging techniques, painted by Robert Thomas, 1995, located on the front of the Sandy, Oregon, City Hall building.. Image taken July 13, 2012.


Sandy, Oregon ...
The Oregon community of Sandy was named after the Sandy River. It began as a rest area for pioneers on the Oregon Trail, and was a western point for the historic Barlow Road, the wagon route around Mount Hood.

Barlow Road ...
The Barlow Road is a part of the Oregon Trail, being established in 1845, making its way around the south side of Mount Hood. This road provided an alternative to the dangerous and expensive route that used rafts to transport wagons down the Columbia River. The Barlow Road began at The Dalles, headed south through Dufur and Tygh Valley, then turned west and north through Barlow Pass and Government Camp, passing through "Tollgate #5" and continued to the community of Sandy, where it turned west and ended up at Oregon City.
[More]

Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Barlow Road route sign at Pioneer Boulevard (Oregon Highway 26) and Ten Eyke Road, Sandy, Oregon. Today's Ten Eyke Road follows the old Barlow Road route to the "Lower Crossing" of the Sandy River and the location of the second Tollgate. Image taken July 13, 2012.


Early Sandy ...
The first to settle today's Sandy area was the Francis Revenue family, who arrived in 1853 and soon opened a trading post on the Barlow Road.

According to Oregon Geographic Names (McArthur and McArthur, 2003):

"... [the father of J.H. Revenue, of Boring] settled near the present site of Sandy in 1853. In those days of pioneer influx over the Barlow Road, all that territory lying north and east of Eagle Creek was known as Sandy, and the particular place where the community now stands was called Revenue. ... On June 1, 1854, a post office named Sandy was established near the present site of Troutdale, with Emsley R. Scott postmaster. This post office was discontinued February 26, 1868."

In 1873 the Sandy Post Office of today was established. The community of Sandy was incorporated in 1911 (Sandy area Chamber of Commerce website, 2011) or 1913 (City of Sandy website, 2011).

According to Oregon Geographic Names (McArthur and McArthur, 2003):

"... About 1870, Richard Gerdes, who had been operating a store at Eagle Creek with Henry Wilbern, bought property near the Revenue farm and opened a store. He soon applied for a post office, which was established February 13, 1873. It is generally believed Gerdes suggested the name Sandy, as he was more familiar with that name than with Revenue. ..."

Image, 2010, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Welcome to Sandy, Gateway to Mount Hood", Sandy, Oregon. Image taken July 17, 2010.


Street scenes ...

Image, 2012, Street scene, Barlow Road, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Tollgate Inn, Sandy, Oregon. Taken from moving car. Image taken July 6, 2012.
Image, 2010, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Joe's Donut Shop", Sandy, Oregon. Image taken July 17, 2010.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Street scene, Sandy, Oregon. Taken from moving car. Image taken July 13, 2012.

This former Lutheran church was built in 1902 and was the second church built in Sandy. The first church, St. Michael’s Catholic Church, was built in 1894 and was destroyed in the Sandy fire of 1913. Today this former Lutheran church is privately owned.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Street scene, Sandy, Oregon. Taken from moving car. Image taken July 13, 2012.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Street scene, Sandy, Oregon. Taken from moving car. Image taken July 13, 2012.

According to the City of Sandy website (2012), in 1910 R.S. "Bob" Smith and his brother Melvin started a blacksmith business in small building at this location. They mostly did horseshoeing and repair of wagons and buggies. Next door was the Sandy Hotel’s barn and livery stable, and then the Mount Hood Saloon and the Star Saloon and Sandy Café. They were all lost in the 1913 fire. In 1915 R.S. bought out his brother and the property next door and built a garage to sell and repair automobiles. He also sold Standard gasoline. In 1935 R.S. built the “fireproof” concrete building pictured.
Image, 2010, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Street scene, Sandy, Oregon. Taken from moving car. Image taken July 17, 2010.

Caspar Junker had this “fireproof” concrete building constructed shortly after the fire of 1913 destroyed large sections of town.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Street scene, Sandy, Oregon. Taken from moving car. Image taken July 13, 2012.

This structure was originally the "Sandy Meat Market" built in the early 1900s by Ludwig and Augusta Hoffmann. Their attached residence, also built by Hoffmann, was next door. According to the City of Sandy website (2012), Hoffmann used horse-drawn wagons to deliver meat to homes, sawmills and the many camps in the outlying areas. The business flourished and he began to include grocery items. In the 1920s he added trucks to the fleet and the delivery area expanded.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Street scene, Sandy, Oregon. Taken from moving car. Image taken July 13, 2012.


Sandy and Vicinity, etc.

  • Johnsrud Viewpoint ...
  • Murals ...
  • Veterans Memorial Square ...
  • Wigwam Burner ...

Johnsrud Viewpoint ...

"This viewpoint is named for the Jonsrud family of Sandy, Oregon. T.G. Jonsrud and his wife Kari settled west of Sandy in 1877. The Jonsrud's son Robert, a blacksmith and sawmill owener, acquired this land in the early 1900s. In 1922 Robert and his wife Tillie built the beautiful Prairie Style house across the road and cleared this viewpoint which has been in constant use for more than 70 years. Philip Jonsrud, Robert's son, donated the viewpoint to the City of Sandy in 1984."

Source:    Information panel, Johnsrud Viewpoint, 2012.


Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Jonsrud Viewpoint, Sandy, Oregon. View towards Mount Hood, Devil's Backbone (ridgeline, middle), and the Sandy River valley. Image taken July 13, 2012.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Jonsrud home, Sandy, Oregon. In 1922 Robert Jonsrud and his wife Tillie built the beautiful Prairie Style house across the road from the Jonsrud Viewpoint. Image taken July 13, 2012.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mount Hood and the Sandy River valley, as seen from the Jonsrud Viewpoint, Sandy, Oregon. Image taken July 13, 2012.


Murals ...
Many murals depicting early wagon trains and pioneers decorate the building walls around Sandy.
[More]

Image, 2013, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Barlow Road Mural, "Peaceful Vistas", Sandy, Oregon. Mural depicts pioneer family on the Barlow Road, painted by Roger Cooke, 1993, located in Sandy, Oregon. Image taken June 28, 2013.
Image, 2012, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Centennial Mural. The Centennial Mural depicts the history of Sandy, Oregon. It was painted by Lee Lauritzen to commemorate Sandy's Centennial in 2011. The mural is 12 x 60 feet in size and overlooks Centennial Plaza. Scenes on the mural include the Revenue's 1875 Hotel, the Jonsrud Brother's 1914 sawmill, Salmon jumping in the Sandy River, and Mount Hood rising above the Sandy River valley. All images are painted on twenty-four 4 x 8-foot panels. The mural was dedicated on June 4, 2011. View from moving car. Image taken November 15, 2012.


Veterans Memorial Square ...
Veterans Memorial Square lies on the corner of Oregon Highways 26 and 211. The square has a statue which honors all war veterans, a drinking fountain, and offers a place to gather.

Image, 2010, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Veterans Memorial Square, Sandy, Oregon. Image taken July 17, 2010.
Image, 2010, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Veterans Memorial, Veterans Memorial Square, Sandy, Oregon. Image taken July 28, 2010.


Wigwam Burner ...
A wigwam burner, also known as teepee burner or beehive burner, is a free-standing conical steel structure used in logging mills to dispose of waste wood and sawdust. The Sandy wigwam burner is located at the Olaf M. Oja Lumber Company and can be seen from Oregon Highway 26. The Olaf M. Oja Lumber Company has been in business for over 60 years.

Image, 2013, Wigwam Burner, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Wigwam burner, Sandy, Oregon. View from moving car on Highway 26. Image taken October 14, 2013.
Image, 2013, Wigwam Burner, Sandy, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Wigwam burner, Sandy, Oregon. View from moving car on Highway 26. Image taken October 14, 2013.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, ...
 




Vancouver PlainsReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CASCADE RANGE VOLCANOES | CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:    City of Sandy website, 2012; Sandy Chamber of Commerce website, 2013;

All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
ColumbiaRiverImages.com/Regions/Places/sandy_oregon.html
© 2013, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
December 2012