Quincy is a small Oregon settlement located three miles northeast of Clatskanie, on the main road connecting Clatskanie with Mayger. According to Ralph Friedman's "In Search of Western Oregon" (1990), in 1915 during Quincy's heyday, the community had a population of 40, two churches and two schools.
According to Oregon Geographic Names (McArthur and McArthur, 2003), "Quincy was settled about 1882 and named for Quincy, Illinois, by J.W. Barnes, who came from that place. The post office was established October 8, 1892, and finally closed on August 25, 1966."
The U.S. Board of Geographic Names' General Land Office (GLO) Records website (2013) shows a G.W. Barnes being granted title to 40 acres of T8N, R4W, Section 35, NW1/4NW1/4, on May 11, 1888 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry). There is a second entry for "George W. Barnes" being granted title to 163 acres of T8N, R4E, parts of Section 26, on April 28, 1891 (1862 Homestead Entry Original).