Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Main Menu
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Prindle, Washington"
Includes ... Prindle ... Cruzatt ... Prindle Park ...
Image, 2005, Prindle area, Washington, from Dalton Point, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Prindle area, Washington, from Dalton Point, Oregon. Image taken October 22, 2005.


Prindle ...
Prindle is located on the Washington side of the Columbia River at River Mile (RM) 134. Upstream is Skamania Island, St. Cloud Wayside, Franz Lake, Archer Mountain, and Skamania Landing. Downstream is Cape Horn. A good view of the entire Prindle area can be had from Dalton Point, Oregon.

Early Prindle ...
Prindle was a railway station named by the St. Paul & Spokane Railway after the first settler in the area, Ernest Hinsdale Prindle, who filed for 160 acres in 1898.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office (GLO) Records website (2015) shows Ernest H. Prindle being granted title to 160 acres of T1N R5E, parts of Section 1, on June 29, 1898 (1862 Homestead EntryOriginal).

Robert Hitchman in "Place Names of Washington" (1985, Washington State Historical Society), wrote:

"Prindle: ... Railroad point on north bank of Columbia River, 28 miles east of Vancouver, southwest Skamania County. This place was named by officials of St. Paul & Spokan Railway for the first settler, Ernest Hinsdale Prindle. In 1806, the first name, Cruzatt, was applied by Lewis and Clark for one of their party, Peter Cruzatte."

Edmond S. Meany wrote in "Origin of Washington Geographic Names" in Washington Historical Quarterly (1921, vol.12):

"Prindle: ... a town on the Columbia River, in the southwestern part of Skamania County. The place was formerly called Cruzatt in honor of Peter Cruzatte of the Lewis and Clark expedition, by which Wind River had been named "Cruzatte River" in 1805. The Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway Company changed the name of the station to honor Ernest Hinsdale Prindle, a pioneer land owner there."

The 1911 U.S. Geological Survey's 1:125,000 topo map for "Mount Hood and Vicinity" shows "Cruzatt".


Prindle in 1941 ...
From "Washington: A Guide to the Evergreen State", 1941, by the Washington State Historical Society, Federal Works Agency, Works Projects Administration (WPA):


"... PRINDLE ... is a roadside stopping place composed of a store and a few scattered houses. The town was named for its first settler, a German sailor who planted an orchard and garden to supply the soldiers at Cascades in 1851. Many persons of Polish origin remained after constructgion of the Union Pacific R.R. in the seventies to form a community of small farms. Older residents still converse in Polish. Robert Prindle, son of the founder, is postmaster there. ..."

Image, 2013, Prindle School, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Prindle School as seen from Washington State Highway 14. View from moving car. Image taken January 31, 2013.


One-room school house built in 1912.


Prindle Park ...
Prindle Park is located along Canyon River Road, northwest of the community of Prindle.

Image, 2015, Prindle Park, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Sign, Prindle Park, Skamania County, Washington. Image taken August 26, 2015.


Views from Prindle ...
Views of Multnomah Falls and Mist Falls can be seen on the Oregon side of the Columbia River from Prindle.

Image, 2005, Multnomah Falls, Oregon, upper falls, from Prindle, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Multnomah Falls, Oregon, upper falls, from Prindle, Washington. Image taken April 2, 2005.
Image, 2005, Multnomah Falls, Oregon, upper falls, from Prindle, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Multnomah Falls, Oregon, upper falls, from Prindle, Washington. Image taken April 2, 2005.
Image, 2005, Mist Falls, Oregon, upper falls, from Prindle, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Upper Mist Falls, Oregon, from Prindle, Washington. Image taken April 2, 2005.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, November 2, 1805 ...
Examined the rapid below us [from their camp at Fort Rains, looking at the Cascade Rapids] more pertcelarly the danger appearing too great to Hazzard our Canoes loaded, dispatched all the men who could not Swim with loads to the end of the portage below, I also walked to the end of the portage with the carriers where I delayed untill everry articles was brought over and canoes arrived Safe. here we brackfast and took a Meridn. altitude 59 45' 45" about the time we were Setting out 7 Squars came over loaded with Dried fish, and bear grass neetly bundled up, Soon after 4 Indian men came down over the rapid in a large canoe.     passed a rapid at 2 miles & 1 at 4 miles opposite the lower point of a high Island on the Lard Side [Bradford Island], and a little below 4 Houses on the Stard. Bank, a Small Creek on the Lard Side [Tanner Creek] opposit Straw berry Island [Hamilton Island], which heads below the last rapid, opposit the lower point of this Island [Hamilton Island] passed three Islands covered with tall timber [today there are two, Ives and Pierce] opposit the Beatin rock [Beacon Rock]    Those Islands are nearest the Starboard Side, imediately below on the Stard. Side passed a village of nine houses [indentified on Atlas map#79 as the "Wah-clallah Tribe of Shahala Nation", location near today's Skamania and Skamania Landing], which is Situated between 2 Small Creeks [Woodard Creek and Duncan Creek], and are of the Same construction of those above; here the river widens to near a mile, and the bottoms are more extensive and thickly timbered, as also the high mountains on each Side, with Pine, Spruce pine, Cotton wood, a Species of ash, and alder.     at 17 miles passed a rock near the middle of the river [Phoca Rock], about 100 feet high and 80 feet Diamuter,     proceed on down a Smoth gentle Stream of about 2 miles wide, in which the tide has its effect as high as the Beaten rock [Beacon Rock] or the Last rapids at Strawberry Island [Hamilton Island],- Saw great numbers of waterfowl of Different kinds, Such as Swan, Geese, white & grey brants, ducks of various kinds, Guls, & Pleaver [today just below Beacon Rock is Franz National Wildlife Refuge]. ...     we encamped under a high projecting rock on the Lard. Side [Rooster Rock, with Crown Point rising above it],     here the mountains leave the river on each Side [leaving the Columbia River Gorge, Steigerwald Land NWR is on the north and the Sandy River delta is on the south], which from the great Shute to this place is high and rugid [Columbia River Gorge]; thickly Covered with timber principalley of the Pine Species. The bottoms below appear extensive and thickly Covered with wood.     river here about 2 miles wide.     Seven Indians in a Canoe on their way down to trade with the nativs below, encamp with us, those we left at the portage passed us this evening and proceeded on down The ebb tide rose here about 9 Inches, the flood tide must rise here much higher- we made 29 miles to day from the Great Shute [Cascade Locks]-





Columbia River GorgeReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:    Federal Writers' Project, 1941, "The New Washington: A Guild to the Evergreen State";    Hitchman, R., 1985, Place Names of Washington, Washington State Historical Society;    U.S. Bureau of Land Management website, 2015, General Land Office Records (GLO) database;    "Washington: A Guide to the Evergreen State", 1941, by the Washington State Historical Society, Federal Works Agency, Works Projects Administration (WPA);   

All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
ColumbiaRiverImages.com/Regions/Places/prindle.html
© 2016, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
July 2015