Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Maryhill Museum, Washington"
Includes ... Maryhill ... Maryhill Museum ... Sam Hill Country ... National Register of Historic Places ...
Image, 2003, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken July 5, 2003.


Maryhill Museum ...
The Maryhill Museum is located on the Washington side of the Columbia River at River Mile (RM) 205 and can be reached from Washington State Highway 14. Upstream is the "Sam Hill Memorial Bridge" and Stonehenge Memorial, and downstream is Haystack Butte and the Deschutes River. Maryhill Museum began being built in 1914 as a "castle" for entepreneur Samuel Hill's daughter "Mary". It was located on a hill three miles west of his planned community which he called "Maryhill". The Maryhill home was completed in 1940 as the Maryhill Museum of Art. The Museum was designed by the historic firm of Hornblower & Marshall, and is constructed of steel I-beams with interior steel studs. The walls, floors, and ceilings are of poured concrete reinforced with steel. No wood was used in the structural parts of the building. The recessed windows are a distinctive trademark of the firm.

Lewis and Clark passed this area on October 22, 1805, on their way to the Pacific. On their return in 1806 they traversed the top of the Columbia Hills behind the Museum and looked down on the Columbia River. Their campsite of April 21, 1806 was downstream from Maryhill at Haystack Butte.


Maryhill Geology ...
Maryhill Museum sits on a bench lying 800 feet above the Columbia, on the north side of the river; a bench made of 14.5-million-year-old Priest Rapids lava, a member of the Wanapum Basalt of the Columbia River Basalt Group (CRBG). This bench, in some areas nearly one mile wide, was carved by the massive power of the Missoula Floods. North of the museum, the Columbia Hills rise to an elevation of nearly 2,800 feet and overlook the Columbia River valley below.

Image, 2005, Maryhill Museum, Washington, as seen from Interstate 84, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Maryhill Museum and the Columbia Hills, Washington, as seen from Interstate 84, Oregon. Image taken September 24, 2005.
Image, 2012, Maryhill Museum, Washington, as seen from Interstate 84, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Maryhill Museum and the Columbia Hills, Washington, as seen from Interstate 84, Oregon. Image taken June 6, 2012.


Maryhill Museum in 1940 ...
From the Oregon State Archives "A 1940 Journey Across Oregon":

"... Right on US 97 to the Maryhill ferry, 0.4 m. (fare $1; service as needed). From the north bank ferry landing in Washington, US 97 continues to the junction with US 830, 1.2 m.; L. here 2.9 m. on US 830 to MARYHILL CASTLE, also built by Samuel Hill. It is a three story rectangular structure of concrete, set on a bluff 800 feet above the river. Though the building was dedicated by Queen Marie of Romania in 1926, it was not opened to visitors until 1937. Queen Marie gave to the museum a life size portrait of her daughter, a desk, chairs, and other pieces of furniture. Hill lavished a fortune on the estate but never made it his home. However, he left a bequest of $1,200,000 for completing and maintaining it as a museum. In a crypt repose the owner's ashes, commemorated by a tablet bearing the inscription: "Samuel Hill amid Nature's unrest, he sought rest." ..."


Maryhill Museum History ...
ABOUT MARYHILL MUSEUM OF ART:

Housed in a glorious Beaux Arts mansion on 5,300 acres high above the Columbia River, Maryhill Museum of Art opened to the public May 13, 1940 and today remains one of the Pacific Northwestís most enchanting cultural destinations. The museum was founded by Northwest entrepreneur and visionary Sam Hill, who purchased the property and began building the house with dreams of establishing a Quaker farming community. When that goal proved untenable, Hill was encouraged by friends Loie Fuller, Queen Marie of Romania, and Alma de Bretteville Spreckles to establish a museum.

Maryhill Museum of Art boasts a world-class permanent collection, rotating exhibitions of the highest caliber, and dynamic educational programs that provide opportunities for further exploration by visitors of all ages. On view are more than 80 works by Auguste Rodin, European and American paintings, objects díart from the palaces of the Queen of Romania, Orthodox icons, unique chess sets, and the renowned Thť‚tre de la Mode, featuring small-scale mannequins attired in designer fashions of post-World War II France. Baskets of the indigenous people of North America were a collecting interest of Hill; today the museumís American Indian collection represents nearly every tradition and style in North America, with works of art from prehistoric through contemporary.

Maryhillís William and Catherine Dickson Sculpture Park features more than a dozen large-scale works by Northwest artists. The Maryhill Overlook is a site-specific sculpture by noted Portland architect Brad Cloepfil; nearby are Lewis and Clark interpretive panels. Four miles east of Maryhill is a life-sized replica of Stonehenge, Stonehenge Memorial, which Sam Hill built to memorialize local men who perished in World War I. Nearby, the Klickitat County War Memorial honors those who have died in the service of their country since World War I.

The museum was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. In 2001 the museum was listed as an official site of the National Historic Lewis and Clark Trail and in 2002 was accredited by the American Association of Museums. In 2012 the museum opened the Mary and Bruce Stevenson Wing, a 25,500 square foot expansion that is the first in the museumís history. The new wing boasts the M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust Education Center, a collections storage and research suite, a new cafe and terrace, and the Cannon Power Plaza with an installation of sculpture, and sweeping views of the Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood in the distance.


Source:    Maryhill Museum website, 2016.


National Register of Historic Places ...
The Maryhill Museum of Fine Arts was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 (Building - #74001966).

Views ...

Penny Postcard, Maryhill Museum, Miller Island, Washington
Click image to enlarge
Penny Postcard: Maryhill Museum and Miller Island, Washington.
Penny Postcard, Real Photo, Divided Back, "Maryhill Museum of Fine Arts On the Columbia River, Maryhill, Washington". Card #40. In the private collection of Lyn Topinka.
Image, 2005, Maryhill Museum, Washington, with Oregon's Columbia Plateau, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Maryhill Museum, Washington, towards the Columbia Plateau region of Oregon. Image taken May 24, 2005.
Image, 2005, Maryhill Museum, Washington, with Mount Hood, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Maryhill Museum, Washington, and Mount Hood, Oregon. Image taken May 24, 2005.
Image, 2012, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 29, 2012.
Image, 2005, Maryhill Museum, Washington, with Mount Hood, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 24, 2005.


Maryhill Museum, etc.

  • Great Blue Heron ...
  • Orange Flower Head ...


The Great Blue Heron ...

Image, 2005, Bronze heron, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Bronze Great Blue Heron overlooking Columbia, Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 24, 2005.
Image, 2005, Bronze heron, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Bronze Great Blue Heron, Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 24, 2005.


Orange Flower Head ...

Image, 2012, Bronze heron, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Orange Flower Head, Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 29, 2012.
Image, 2012, Bronze heron, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Orange Flower Head, Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 29, 2012.
Image, 2012, Bronze heron, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Orange Flower Head, Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 29, 2012.
Image, 2012, Bronze heron, Maryhill Museum, Washington, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Orange Flower Head, Maryhill Museum, Washington. Image taken May 29, 2012.


"The Golden Age of Postcards" ...

The early 1900s was the "Golden Age of Postcards", with the "Penny Postcard" being a popular way to send greetings to family and friends. Today the Penny Postcard has become a snapshot of history.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, October 22, 1805 ...




Columbia PlateauReturn to
Menu
 






*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:
  • "MaryhillMuseum.org" website, 2004;
  • Oregon Department of Transportation website, 2004;
  • National Register of Historic Places website, 2004, 2005;
  • Norman, D.K., Busacca, A.J., and Teissere, R., 2004, "Geology of the Yakima Valley Wine Country - A Geologic Field Trip Guide from Stevenson to Zillah, Washington", Washington Division of Geology and Earth Resources Field Trip Guide 1, June 2004;
  • Oregon State Archives website, 2005, "A 1940 Journey Across Oregon";
  • Pacific Northwest National Laboratory website, 2004, Steven Reidel, "Northwest Geology";
  • "Rootsweb.com" website, 2006, Klickitat County;
  • "Sam Hill Country" Community sign, Maryhill, Washington;
  • Washington State Parks and Recreation website, 2004;


All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
/Regions/Places/maryhill_museum.html
September 2016