Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Main Menu
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon"
Includes ... Lewis & Clark College ... Portland ... Belgian blocks ... Pio ("Seaman") Bronze ... Sacagawea and Jean Baptiste Bronze ... York Bronze ...
Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.


Lewis & Clark College ...
Lewis & Clark College began in 1867 as "Albany Collegiate Institute", and was located in Albany, Oregon, 60 miles south of Portland. In 1905 the name was changed to "Albany College". In 1934 Albany College opened an extension in Portland which was to become so popular the entire college moved to Portland in 1938. The college aquired 63 acres of the Lloyd Frank estate in Portland's southwest hills and changed its name to "Lewis & Clark College". According to the Lewis & Clark College website (2014):

"... To mark the transformation made possible by the acquisition of the Frank estate, the trustees sought a new name. They unanimously selected Lewis & Clark College as a "symbol fo the pioneering spirit that had made and maintained the Collge," thereby grounding the future of the institution in a heritage of exploration and discovery. ..."

Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Campus Map with Belgian Blocks, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.


Lloyd Frank Estate, "Fir Acres" ...
In 1979, the Lloyd Frank Estate was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (#79002133).

"In 1942, the Lloyd Frank family offered the Fir Acres estate to Lewis & Clark College on generous terms. The Frank Manor House, a 35-room Tudor-style mansion designed by architect Herman Brookman and built in 1924-25, was the centerpiece of the 63-acre estate, which also included a cottage-style gatehouse, a conservatory, and a rose garden. Today the Frank Manor House serves as the administrative core of Lewis & Clark. It houses the offices of the president, vice president, and provost; the College of Arts and Sciences Admissions; and the Business Office."


Source:    Lewis & Clark College website, 2015.

National Register of Historic Places ...
"The M. Lloyd Frank estate, presently the Lewis and Clark College campus, is situated just south of the city of Portland ...   on the donation land claim of William S. Torrance. ...

Structures which survive from the original estate ar the Manor House, gatehouse, garage-workshop-greenhouse complex, bath house, and four other greenhouses. The entire estate cost $1.3 million to develop, $65,000 for the buildings alone. Construction began in 1924. The Manor House was completed in 1926 after 18 months of work, while the grounds were not finished until 1929.

The Frank House, presently known as Odell Manor, is the focal point of the Lewis and Clark College campus. Named for Morgan S. Odell, president of the college from 1942 to 1960 ...

Odell Manor is a two and a half story building ...   the axis of the house is directly in line with Mt. Hood. It was designed to the last detail almost entirely by Herman Brookman beginning in 1923 for M. Lloyd Frank. Construction was done by McHolland Bruilders ...

Northeast of the Manor House, the garage-greenhouse complex is basically three rectangular structures joined in a U-shape around a cobblestone courtyard. ...   The main structure in the complex, presently known as Albany Annex, is a two story stucco building with a red tile roof topped by a lead-faced clock tower which housed a carillon. The carillon bells, however, have been removed. The lower portion was a garage, probably used for repairs, with large double doors. Upstairs, there were rooms for the chauffeurs. In 1942, the structure was remodeled by excavating the dirt floor and replacing it with cement. ...

The roads throughout the estate are paved with Belgian cobblestones. These reportedly came from Front Street in Portland when it was being resurfaced. Southeast of the Manor House is a large cobblestone circle which was used as an open air theater.

The majority of the estate's landscaped grounds are visible from the back terrace of the Manor House, looking east toward Mt. Hood. Going in order east from the house is a large grass and tree area with rough cut stone steps leading down to a multicolored flagstone landing. All steps and walls on the grounds are of rough cut stone. More steps lead down on either side ...   A few feet below is another fountain ...   with a terraced waterfall flowing into the large reflection pool in which Mt. Hood can be seen on a clear day. On either side of the pool are ivy-covered stone walls.

On either side of the lower end of the reflection pool are two gazebos. They are partially built into the stone retaining wall which separates the upper portion of the grounds from the road which passes below and the lower grounds. These square, open air structures have short stone walls and flagstone floors. The tile-shingled, hip roof is supported at the four corners by stained oak columns.

From the road below the gazebos, are steps ...   [leading] onto a long grass area bordered by stone walls and shrubs. Steps lead off on both sides to a garden area to the south and a rock garden and grass area to the north.


Source:    U.S. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form (#79002133), Frank (M.Lloyd) Estate, Lewis and Clark College, Odell Manor, 1978.


Scenics ...

Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Albany Hall, north wing, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Scenic with Dovecote and Weathervane, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Manor House and Reflection Pool, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Reflection pool, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Mount Hood, 50 miles east, is just visible on the horizon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Wall and flowers bordering the Reflection Pool, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.


About Campus

  • Agnes Flanagan Chapel ...
  • Belgian Blocks ...
  • Bronze ... (Sacagawea, York, and Pio ("Seaman"))
  • Dolphin Fountain ...
  • Dovecote ...
  • Frank Manor House ...
  • Granitic Erratic ...
  • Owl ...


Agnes Flanagan Chapel ...
The Agnes Flanagan Chapel, built in 1968, is a 16-sided structure which houses an 85-rank Casavant Organ.

"The Agnes Flanagan Chapel is one of the first buildings that visitors to Lewis & Clark College see as they drive up Palatine Hill Road and approach the main campus. The chapel is named in honor and memory of college trustee Agnes Flanagan whose vision, enthusiasm and generosity made its construction possible. Completed in the fall of 1968, the chapel was officially dedicated in February of 1969.

The chapelís impressive contemporary lines and distinctive conical shape incorporate a strong Northwest Coast Native American influence, and are the design of architect Paul Thiry. The Wallace Howe Lee Memorial Bridge, leading from the roadway to the chapel entrance, is flanked by sculpted figures of the four evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). Chief Lelooska of the Cherokee tribe designed these figures which combine ancient Christian symbolism with the symbolism of the Northwest Coast Native American people.

The beautiful interior of the chapel features a magnificent Casavant organ, seating for 460 people, and stained glass windows which depict the creation story as told in the book of Genesis. The Casavant organ has 85 ranks and most of the almost 5,000 pipes are suspended in the center of the chapel from the pinnacle of the chapel ceiling. The stained glass windows were designed and crafted by Gabriel Loire of Chartres, France, an artist renowned for his work worldwide."


Source:    Lewis & Clark College website, 2015.


Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Agnes Flanagan Chapel, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Sculptures, Agnes Flanagan Chapel, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.


Belgian Blocks ...
In 1975 the City of Portland passed an ordinance which calls for the preservation of any "Belgian block" cobblestones excavated during construction and maintence activities on city streets. The cobblestones are warehoused by the City and are meant to be reused in appropriate civic historic restoration projects. One such location is Lewis & Clark College.
[More]

Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Albany Quadrangle with Belgian Blocks, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
"A cobblestone path leads to the entrance of the central building of Albany Quadrangle. A cupola bell tower with a magnificent clock crowns the top of the building." [L&C Chronicle, Summer 2003]

"The center building was originally a garage with folding shed doors for automobiles, carriages and farm equipment." [L&C Chronicle, 2002]

Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Benches, Albany Quadrangle with Belgian Blocks, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Formal Garden road with Belgian Blocks, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
"The roads throughout the estate are paved with Belgian cobblestones. These reportedly came from Front Street in Portland when it was being resurfaced." [U.S. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, #79002133]
Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Formal Garden road with Belgian Blocks, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.


Bronzes ... (Sacajawea, York, and Pio ("Seaman")) ...
[More]

Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Sacagawea and Jean Baptiste Bronze, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
York Bronze, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Pio ("Seaman") Bronze, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.


Dolphin Fountain ...
The "Dolphin Fountain" was a part of the original Fir Acres estate. Early photographs show the fountain surrounded by Belgian Blocks and shrubbery. Today the Belgian Block "cobblestones" remain between the stone benches in the background.

Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Dolphin Fountain, with Belgian Blocks between stone benches in the background, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. View over the fountain looking west. Image taken August 24, 2014.
Image, 2014, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Dolphin Fountain, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.


Dovecote ...
A dovecote (or "dovecot") is a structure used to house pigeons or doves. Dovecotes may be free-standing structures or built on the end of a house or barn. They generally contain holes for the birds to nest. The Lewis & Clark College "dovecote" building is the "Dovecote Cafe".

Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Dovecote building, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Dovecote, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.


Frank Manor House ...
"The Frank Manor House, a 35-room Tudor-style mansion designed by architect Herman Brookman and built in 1924-25, was the centerpiece of the 63-acre estate, which also included a cottage-style gatehouse, a conservatory, and a rose garden. Today the Frank Manor House serves as the administrative core of Lewis & Clark. It houses the offices of the president, vice president, and provost; the College of Arts and Sciences Admissions; and the Business Office."


Source:    Lewis & Clark College website, 2015.

Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Frank Manor House, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Frank Manor House, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Frank Manor House, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Frank Manor House, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Bricks, Frank Manor House, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Bricks, Frank Manor House, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.
Image, 2015, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Lantern, Frank Manor House, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon. Image taken May 3, 2015.


Granitic Erratic ...
(to come)
[More]

Image, 2014, Granitic Erratic, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Granitic Erratic, Lewis & Clark College, Multnomah County, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
Image, 2014, Granitic Erratic, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Granitic Erratic, Lewis & Clark College, Multnomah County, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.
Image, 2014, Granitic Erratic, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Granitic Erratic, Lewis & Clark College, Multnomah County, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.

A GRANITIC ERRATIC
CARRIED BY AN ICE-BERG
AT THE END OF THE LAST
ICE AGE FROM THE UPPER
COLUMBIA RIVER BASIN
TO NEAR THIS POINT.


Owl ...
Sculpted by Don Lelooska, Lewis & Clark College's Owl sculpture is a concrete columnic sculpture in the tradition of a totem pole, on which an owl surrounds the crouching figure of a man. It is located at the entrance to the Aubrey R. Watzak Library. The sculpture was installed in 1967.

Image, 2014, Owl, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Owl Sculpture, Lewis & Clark College, Multnomah County, Portland, Oregon. Image taken August 24, 2014.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, ...
 




Vancouver PlainsReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:    Lewis & Clark College website, 2014, 2015;    Smithsonian Institution Collections website, 2014;   

All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
ColumbiaRiverImages.com/Regions/Places/lewis_clark_college.html
© 2017, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
May 2015