GEORGE W. JOSEPH STATE PARK
"The George W. Joseph State Park adjoins the south side of Talbot Park. It is made up of two separately deeded forty acre tracts, desccribed as being in Section 32, Township 1 North of Range 5 East, W.M. in Multnomah County. Both tracts were gifts to the State of Oregon by Bertha L. Joseph and George W. Joseph, her son, by deeds dated September 11, 1934 and June 23, 1942. Title clearance to the later deed tract was by Sheriff's deed from Multnomah County, dated August 10, 1945.
These tracts are also located on Latourell Creek and have a beautiful double waterfall, located approximately three quarters of a mile up stream from the head of the Talbot Park falls, and easily reached by a good trail that ascends the east side of the stream.
While there are no improvements in this park area, other than the foot trail, in conjuction with Talbot Park and the Crown Point Loops, there is formed a single administrative unit, which in combination has all the natural attributes of a very attractive state park area, less than one hour of driving time from Portland's business center."
W.A. Langille, State Parks Historian.
"This part should be kept in its wilderness state, it being a complement to Talbot Park. Only the upkeep of the trails should be considered."
S.H. Boardman, State Parks Superintendent, March 25, 1946.
W.A. Langille and S.H. Boardman, 1946,
State Parks Historical Sketches: Columbia Gorge State Parks, courtesy of
Oregon State Archives website, 2014.