Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Main Menu
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Goodnoe and Goodnoe Hills, Klickitat County, Washington"
Includes ... Goodnoe ... Goodnoe Hills ...
Image, 2012, Klickitat County, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Goodnoe Hills, Rock Creek vicinity, Columbia Hills, Klickitat County, Washington. Image taken June 6, 2012.


Goodnoe and Goodnoe Hills ...
Goodnoe is a small settlement along the banks of the Columbia River, downstream from the mouth of Rock Creek.

The Goodnoe Hills rise up from the right bank of Rock Creek. The Goodnoe hills are a part of the more massive Columbia Hills which stretch across Klickitat County from the Klickitat River on the west to Rock Creek on the east.


Early Goodnoe and Goodnoe Hills ...
Chauncy Goodnoe and his cousin Philetus Goodnoe were early Klickitat County pioneers. Chauncy arrive in 1865 and Phileatus arrived in 1869.

"CHAUNCEY GOODNOE, another of Klickitat's early and respected pioneers, still resides in the county to which he came more than forty years ago. being at the present time engaged in sheep raising. His 640-acre ranch lies five miles south and eleven miles east of the city of Goldendale. ... In 1865 he bought a squatter's right to a quarter section which comprises a portion of his present ranch, filed a homestead claim to it and since then has made it his home. He was engaged in the cattle and horse business until 1903, when he sold the larger stock and invested in sheep, to which he now devotes his entire attention." ["An Illustrated History of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties ...", Interstate Publishing Co., Chicago, IL., 1904]

"In 1869 he [Phileatus Goodnoe] moved with his family to Klickitat county, settling at Chamberlain Flat and Goodnoe Hills, which place was later named for the family. He was engaged at that place with his cousin, Chauncey Goodnoe, in stockraising for a number of years. In 1879 he moved onto a farm near Centerville where the family lived for twenty-seven years. He was a resident of the county during the early Indian troubles, and prominent in the history of Klickitat county." ["The Goldendale Sentinel", August 31, 1916, courtesy "Ancestry.com" website, 2019]

According to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office (GLO) Record's database (2019), Chauncey Goodnoe was granted title to 154.82 acres of T3N R18E, Sections 8 and 17 on June 4, 1877 (1862 Homestead EntryOriginal), 320 acres of T3N R18E, Section 9 on September 23, 1893 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry), and 80 acres of T3N R18E, Section 8 (1873 Timber Culture). Philetus Goodnoe was granted title to 153.22 acres of T3N R16E, Section 7, on July 9, 1894 (1862 Homestead EntryOriginal, located near Centerville).

Edmund S. Meany wrote in "Origin of Washington Geographic Names" (1923, University of Washington Press):

"Goodnow ... a railroad station in Klickitat County. It was formerly called Harbin but was changed, ostensibly to agree with the postoffice Goodnoe Hills, to Goodnow."

Robert Hitchman wrote in "Place Names of Washington" (1985, Washington Historical Society):

"Goodnoe (T3N, R18E, Sec.26) ... Small settlement near the north bank of Columbia River, 17 miles southeast of Goldendale, south central Klickitat County. It was named for an early stock-raising family. The railway station was first called Harbin, but was changed to the present name in order to agree with the post office name."

"Goodnoe Hills (T3N, R19E, Sec.18) ... Village 4 miles north of Columbia River and 17 miles southeast of Goldendale, south central Klickitat County. (see Goodnoe)."

Views ...

Image, 2012, Klickitat County, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Goodnoe Hills homestead, Rock Creek vicinity, Columbia Hills, Klickitat County, Washington. Located on the northeast corner of Hoctor Road and the Chamberlain Goodnoe Road (Old Highway 8). Image taken June 6, 2012.
Image, 2012, Klickitat County, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Goodnoe Hills homestead, Rock Creek vicinity, Columbia Hills, Klickitat County, Washington. Image taken June 6, 2012.
Image, 2012, Klickitat County, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Goodnoe Hills homestead, Rock Creek vicinity, Columbia Hills, Klickitat County, Washington. Image taken June 6, 2012.
Image, 2012, Klickitat County, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Goodnoe Hills schoolhouse,Rock Creek vicinity, Columbia Hills, Klickitat County, Washington. Located on Goodnoe Station Road. Goodnoe Station Road heads south from Goodnoe Hills, follows Sand Spring Canyon, and reaches Highway 14 at Goodnoe. Image taken June 6, 2012.


Goodnoe and Goodnoe Hills, etc.

  • Goodnoe "Undeveloped" Fishing Access Site ...
  • North Bank Road ... (Harbin)
  • Sand Spring Canyon ...


Goodnoe "Undeveloped" Fishing Access Site, Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission ...
All four Columbia River treaty tribes enjoy fishing rights along the Columbia from the Bonneville to McNary dams. This 147-mile stretch of the river is called Zone 6. The Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission (CRITFC) operates and maintains 31 fishing sites (2015, Note: the website map only shows 30 sites) in Zone 6. These sites were set aside by Congress to provide fishing locations to Indian fishers whose traditional fishing grounds were inundated behind dams.

"For fisheries management purposes, the 292-mile stretch of the Columbia River that creates the border between Washington and Oregon is divided into six zones. Zones 1-5 are between the mouth of the river and Bonneville Dam, a distance of 145 miles. Oregon and Washington manage the commercial fisheries that occur in these zones. Zone 6 is an exclusive treaty Indian commercial fishing area. This exclusion is for commercial fishing only. Non-commercial sports fishers may still fish in this stretch of the river." [Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission website, 2016]

The Zone 6 sites include 19 Treaty Fishing Access sites (Bonneville, Wyeth, White Salmon, Stanley Rock, Lyle, Dallesport, Celilo, Maryhill, Rufus, Preacher's Eddy, North Shore, LePage Park, Pasture Point, Roosevelt Park, Pine Creek, Threemile Canyon, Alderdale, Crow Butte, and Faler Road), five "In-lieu" sites (Cascade Locks, Wind River, Cooks, Underwood, and Lone Pine), two "Shared-use" sites (Avery and Sundale Park, for both Tribal use and Public use), and four "Unimproved" sites with no services (Goodnoe, Rock Creek, Moonay, and Aldercreek).



North Bank Road ... (Harbin)
The Great Northern Railway and Northern Pacific Railroad, competitors in the transcontinental business, launched the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway in 1905 and built a line along the north side of the Columbia River. This line was known as "The North Bank Railroad", "The North Bank Road", "Columbia River Scenic Route", and "The Northwests Own Railway". The tracks were started in October 1905 and completed in February 1908, with a celebration being held on March 11th at Sheridan Point upstream of the Fort Rains Blockhouse location. On March 19th, regular passenger service between Vancouver and Pasco was begun. The journey took eight hours.

STATIONS ON THE NORTH BANK
Between Vancouver and Pasco There Will Be 43 Stops.

"LYLE, Wash., July 24, 1907. -- (Special.) -- Chief Surgeon Irvine, of the North Bank Road says there will be 43 stations about five miles apart on the line between Vancouver and Pasco. From west to east the stations will appear on the new map as Image, Fisher, Bourne, Seal, Cruzatt, Butler, Cascades, Stevenson, Ash, Collins, Cooks, Hood, Bingen, Villa, Lyle, Skadat, Grandalles, Spedis, Avery, Timms, Columbus, Cliffs, Towal, Harbin, Fountain, Sanda, Roosevelt, Moonax, McCredie, Carley, Luzon, Sage, Patterson, Coolide, Gravel, Plymouth, Colbia, Mottinger, Tomar, Yellepit, Hoover and Finley. He also reports the track is being blasted as fast as laid."


Source:    "Morning Oregonian", July 25, 1907, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2019.

[More]



Sand Spring Canyon ...
Sand Spring Canyon heads in the Goodnoe Hills and opens to the Columbia River at Goodnoe, at Columbia River Mile (RM) 225, in T3N R18E, Section 26. Sand Spring is located two miles up the canyon. The Goodnoe Station Road follows the left bank of the Canyon.

Image, 2012, Sand Spring Canyon, Klickitat County, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Sand Spring Canyon, looking south towards Oregon and the Columbia River, from the Columbia Hills, Klickitat County, Washington. Image taken June 6, 2012.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, October 21, 1805 ...
A verry cool morning wind from the S. W. we Set out verry early and proceeded on, last night [their previous camp was downstream of Roosevelt, Washington] we could not Collect more dry willows the only fuel, than was barely Suffient to cook Supper, and not a Sufficency to cook brackfast this morning, passd. a Small Island at 5½ miles a large one 8 miles in the middle of the river, Some rapid water at the head and Eight Lodges of nativs opposit its Lower point on the Stard. Side, we came too at those lodges, bought some wood and brackfast. ...     at 2 miles lower passed a rapid, large rocks Stringing into the river of large Size [near Blalock Canyon], opposit to this rapid on the Stard. Shore is Situated two Lodges of the nativs drying fish here we halted a fiew minits to examine the rapid before we entered it which was our constant Custom, and at all that was verry dangerous put out all who could not Swim to walk around, after passing this rapid we proceeded on passed anoothe rapid at 5 miles lower down, above this rapid on <the Stard. Side> five Lodges of Indians fishing &c. [near Rock Creek where they would camp on their return, on April 23, 1806] above this rapid maney large rocks on each Side at Some distance from Shore, one mile passed an Island Close to the Stard. Side, below which is two Lodge of nativs, a little below is a bad rapid which is bad crouded with hugh rocks Scattered in every Direction which renders the pasage verry Difficuelt a little above this rapid on the Lard. Side emence piles of rocks appears as if Sliped from the Clifts under which they lay passed great number of rocks in every direction Scattered in the river 5 Lodges a little below on the Stard. Side, and one lodge on an Island near the Stard. Shore opposit to which is a verry bad rapid, thro which we found much dificuelty in passing, the river is Crouded with rocks in every direction, after Passing this dificult rapid to the mouth of a Small river on the Larboard Side [John Day River] 40 yards wide descharges but little water at this time, and appears to take its Sourse in the Open plains to the S. E.     from this place I proceved Some fiew Small pines on the tops of the high hills and bushes in the hollars. imediately above & below this little river [John Day River] comences a rapid which is crouded with large rocks in every direction, the pasage both crooked and dificuelt, we halted at a Lodge to examine those noumerous islands of rock which apd. to extend maney miles below,—. great numbs. of Indians came in canoes to View us at this place, after passing this rapid which we accomplished without loss; <we passed> winding through between the hugh rocks for about 2 miles—. (from this rapid the Conocil mountain [Mount Hood] is S. W. which the Indians inform me is not far to the left of the great falls; this I call the Timm or falls mountain it is high and the top is covered with Snow) imediately below the last rapids there is four Lodges of Indians on the Stard. Side, proceeded on about two miles lower and landed and encamped near five Lodges of nativs, drying fish [Washington side just downstream of today's John Day Dam] those are the relations of those at the Great falls [Celilo Falls], ...     this part of the river is furnished with fine Springs which either rise high up the Sides of the hills or on the bottom near the river and run into the river. the hills are high and rugid a fiew scattering trees to be Seen on them either Small pine or Scrubey white oke. ...     we made 33 miles to day.






Clark, April 23, 1806 ...
at day light this morning [camp across from the John Day River] we were informed that the two horses of our interpreter Shabono were missing ...     as our Situation was Such that we Could not detain for a horse, which would prevent our makeing a timely Stage which is a great object with us in those open plains, we Concluded to give up the horse and proceed on to the next village which we were informed was at Some distance and would take us the greater part of the day. at 11 A. M. we packed up and Set out and proceeded up on the N. Side of the Columbia on a high narrow bottom and rockey for 12 miles to the Wah-how-pum village near the rock rapid [Rock Creek Rapids] of 12 temporary mat Lodges, those people appeared pleased to See us. ...     we passed Several Lodges on the bank of the river where they were fixed waiting for the Salmon. ...     at this village a large Creek falls in on the N. Side which I had not observed as I decended the river [Rock Creek].     the river is by no means as rapid as it was at the time we decended. ...    The Sand through which we walked to day is So light that renders the march verry fatigueing.     made 12 miles by land.





Columbia PlateauReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:
  • "An Illustrated History of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties ...", Interstate Publishing Co., Chicago, IL., 1904;
  • "Ancestry.com" website, 2019;
  • Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission website, 2016;
  • Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2019;
  • Hitchman, R., 1985, "Place Names of Washington", Washington State Historical Society;
  • Meany, E.S., 1923, "Origin of Washington Geographic Names", University of Washington Press, Seattle;
  • U.S. Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office (GLO) Record's database, 2019;


All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
/Regions/Places/goodnoe.html
© 2019, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
July 2019