Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Main Menu
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Dufur, Oregon"
Includes ... Dufur ... Barlow Road ... Fifteenmile Creek ... Balch Hotel ... National Register of Historic Places ...
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Welcome to Dufur". Image taken April 3, 2013.


Dufur ...
The small Oregon community of Dufur lies 15 miles south of The Dalles, just off of Highway 197.

Early Dufur ...
The Dufur area was first settled in 1852, and in 1872 Andrew and Burnham Dufur bought a farm where today's community is situated. In 1878 the Dufur Post Office was established and named after the Dufur family.

Dufur and the Barlow Road ...
Dufur's main street follows the Barlow Road. There is a historical marker on Fifteenmile Creek (which runs through town) and Oregon Trail exhibits at the Dufur Historical Museum.
[More]

Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Main Street and Fifteenmile Creek, Dufur, Oregon. Dufur's main street follows the Barlow Road. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Main Street, Dufur, Oregon. Dufur's main street follows the Barlow Road. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Barlow Road sign at Fifteenmile Creek, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Closer view, Barlow Road sign at Fifteenmile Creek, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.


Dufur, etc.

  • Balch Hotel ...
  • Dufur Historical Society Museum ...
  • Endersby School ...
  • Fifteenmile Creek ...
  • Rabbit Drive, 1913 ...
  • Schreiber Log Cabin ...


Balch Hotel ...
The Balch Hotel, built in 1907, is located on the south side of Dufur. It was built on the site of an earlier stagehouse which served users of the Barlow Toll Road. The early Hotel itself however primarily served passengers on the Great Southern Railroad which came to Dufur in 1905. The Balch Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 (#87001469).
[More]

Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Balch Hotel, Dufur, Oregon. The Balch Hotel was built in 1907. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Front door, Balch Hotel, Dufur, Oregon. The Balch Hotel was built in 1907. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Entrance tiles, Balch Hotel, Dufur, Oregon. The Balch Hotel was built in 1907. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Image taken April 3, 2013.


Dufur Historical Society Museum ...

Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Dufur Historical Society, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Scene, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Bulk Grain Wagons and Endersby School, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Bulk Grain Wagons, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Information sign, Bulk Grain Wagons, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Studebaker Wagon, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Studebaker Wagon, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Studebaker Wagon, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Tractor, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Eagle, Tractor, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.


Endersby School ...
"The School House at the Museum is the restored Endersby School from District # 57

The Endersby School was originally located at the Endersby Junction, 4 miles from Highway 197 on 8 Mile Rd. The town and school were named after Captain W.E. Endersby, a wagon train captain of 1860. Records show that the school building was built as a grange in 1892 used as a school them sold to the school district in 1907. The school operated until 1935, upon closing the students numbering 11 were bused to The Dalles.

When the building was no longer used, it became the property of Ted and Barbara Davidson. In 1995 Barbara Davidson donated the school to the Dufur Historical Society.

The school was moved to its present site in 1994 by a group of local volunteers. Howard Green, owner of Green Construction , a local resident built and donated the foundation. Due to lack of funds the building remained untouched until 2001 when Meyer Memorial awarded the Dufur Historical Society a grant to restore the school. The restoration began in May of 2002 and the building was dedicated in May of 2003."


Source:    Dufur Historical Society website, 2018.


Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Endersby School, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.


Fifteenmile Creek ...
[More]

Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Fifteenmile Creek, looking upstream, Dufur, Oregon. View from the old highway ("Main Street") bridge in Dufur. Image taken April 3, 2013.
Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Fifteenmile Creek, looking downstream, Dufur, Oregon. View from the old highway ("Main Street") bridge in Dufur. Image taken April 3, 2013.


Rabbit Drive, 1913 ...
DUFUR RABBIT DRIVE SOON
The Dalles Hunters Invited to Participate in Big Event.

"THE DALLES, Or., Nov.22 -- (Special.) -- Local hunters have been invited to participate in a rabbit drive at Dufur and vicinity Thanksgiving day, for which prizes aggregating $50 have been hung up. The Dufurites will be hosts at a banquet to the hunters in the evening at the Balch Hotel.

The object of the drive is to attempt to exterminate the orchard pests, as much money is lost every year by the fruitgrowers due to the rabbits and other rodents. The scores of the hunters will be based on the following allowance of points: For coyotes, 1000 points; jackrabbits, 250; cottontails, 125; digger squirrels, 100; gophers, 50; mice, 10."


Source:    "Sunday Oregonian", November 23, 1913, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2018.



Schreiber Log Cabin ...
"The Cabin was originally the Schreiber Log House, donated By Louie and Faye Schreiber on July 17, 1974.

Joseph and Mary Schreiber with their four sons, Bert, Otto, Carl, and Jack arrived in what is now known as Friend, Oregon in 1898. Joseph and his sons began construction on their log house in 1900 and completed it in 1901. They hand hewed each log, using pine trees from their 320 acre homestead. Four generations of Schreiber's have lived in the log house since its construction. In June 1943 Louie Schreiber, Carl's son, moved into the house with his wife Faye. They lived there until 1973, after which the house stood empty until 1974. At that time they donated their home of 29 years to the Dufur Historical Society so that "both old and young can enjoy it and deepen their appreciation for our pioneer heritage." In October of 1975 the old house was moved to its present location in Dufur where the society members began the project of restoring it to its original condition. It was first open to the public on May 1, 1976, as the Dufur Historical Society Schreiber Log Cabin."


Source:    Dufur Historical Society website, 2018.


Image, 2013, Dufur, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Schreiber Log Cabin, Dufur Historical Society Museum, Dufur, Oregon. Image taken April 3, 2013.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark ...
 




Columbia PlateauReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:
  • Dufur Historical Society website, 2018;
  • Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2018;
  • U.S. National Register of Historic Places, 1987, Balch Hotel Nomination Form;


All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
/Regions/Places/dufur.html
© 2017, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
April 2013