Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Main Menu
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Bridgeton (Faloma), Oregon"
Includes ... Bridgeton ... Faloma ... North Portland Harbor ... Streetcar Trestle ...
Image, 2012, Bridgeton, Portland, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Bridgeton Marina, Portland, Oregon. Image taken February 5, 2012.


Bridgeton ...
(to come)

Faloma ...
"This post office was north of Portland and served a community that was at one time known as Bridgeton. It operated from August 13, 1921, to June 15, 1935. Post office authorities were requested to establish an office there, but they objected to the name Bridgeton because of the duplication of other similar names in the United States. A meeting of local citizens was held, and it was decided to ask to have the place named Faloma. This name was made up by using the initials of three original landowners in the neighborhood, to with: Messrs. Force, Love, and Moore."


Source:    McArthur, L.A., and McArthur, L.L., 2003, "Oregon Geographic Names", Oregon Historical Society.

East Columbia ...
According to the East Columbia Neighborhood Association website (2019):

"East Columbia is a Portland neighborhood bordered roughly by Marine Drive on the north, the Columbia Slough on the south, Interstate 5 on the west and the Levee Road dike on the east. The area's history has been shaped by the character of its wetlands and its role as a link between Portland and Vancouver. Before it was annexed to Portland, this general area was known as Faloma."

"In 1846, John Switzler and his family settled here. He supplied Fort Vancouver with cattle, which he pastured where Columbia Edgewater members now play golf. He also ran a post office and the first Portland-Vancouver ferry. The fare was 50 cents for a pedestrian and one dollar for a horse and rider."

"In 1888 the Portland and Vancouver Railroad reached Switzler's ferry landing."


Bridgeton/Faloma, etc.

  • Columbia Children's Arboretum ...
  • Columbia School ...
  • North Portland Harbor ...
  • Old Streetcar Trestle ...


Columbia Children's Arboretum ...
(to come)


Columbia School ...
According to the East Columbia Neighborhood Association website (2019):

  • In 1907 the original Columbia School was built as a one-room schoolhouse.
  • In 1937 the Columbia School was rebuilt to its surrent size.
  • In 1964-1965 the Columbia School became a middle school and part of the Portland Public School District. It created an outdoor classroom which is now the Columbia Children's Arboretum, currently administered by Portland Parks and Recreation.
  • In 1983 the Columbia School closed as a general school, providing only classes for children with special social and emotional needs.
  • In 1999 the Portland Parks and Recreation bought the Children's Arboretum from the school district.


North Portland Harbor ...
The North Portland Harbor is the official name of the channel which separates Hayden Island and Tomahawk Island from the mainland Oregon. Throughout history it has had other names, including the "Oregon Slough" and "Hayden's Slough". In 1913 the U.S. Board of Geographic Names made "North Portland Harbor" the official name. Bridgeton/Faloma borders North Portland Harbor.
[More]


Old Streetcar Trestle ...
Pilings from an old 700-foot trestle that once carried streetcars from Portland to Tomahawk Island can still be seen in North Portland Harbor. This "Vancouver Street Car" let passengers off at the Lotus Isle Depot, at the entrance to Lotus Isle Amusement Park. A good view of the remaining pilings can be had from the east side of today's Lotus Isle Park on Tomahawk Island, or from the end of the road at Bridgeton. .

"... BY STREET CAR -- Vancouver car anywhere in city; get off at Lotus Isle Depot. You're at the gates. ..." ["PDXHistory.com" website, 2006, Newspaper ad from June 27, 1930]

[More]



From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, ...
 




Vancouver PlainsReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:   
  • East Columbia Neighborhood Association website, 2019;
  • McArthur, L.A., and McArthur, L.L., 2003, "Oregon Geographic Names", Oregon Historical Society;
  • "PDXHistory.com" website, 2006;


All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
/Regions/Places/bridgeton.html
© 2019, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
March 2019